Participatory Training Methodology
Starts on: 1 st & 15 th of every month | Duration: 6 Months | Registration open
This course introduces to the learner the ideology, principles and philosophy of Participatory Training and its significance in the process of social change. The course includes inputs on the varied participatory methodologies used in such training, as tools of developing awareness, critical reflection on causes of social inequality, processes of breaking through inequity and forging paths of bring about change and transformation in the lives of individuals and communities. The course details out the steps in designing such training programmes, as well as evaluation techniques of assessing the impact on the trainees. It also describes in detail the roles, responsibilities and key competencies of trainers, using participatory approaches.
- This innovative course is one of its kind, at the national, regional and international level, offered in a distance education mode
- It draws a distinction between conventional and participatory training approaches, while describing the ideology and significance of Participatory Training in social change.
- The learners will find illustrative examples of training design and methodologies to address various issues, including health, social inclusion, gender inequality etc.
- The learner will also gain insights on addressing a range of trainees – women, men, youth, rural, urban, illiterate, leaders, tribal etc thereby sharpening their understanding and skills in Participatory Training Methods
- The course material is designed and developed, to meet the special requirements of a distance mode of education. It includes inbuilt exercises and in-text questions aimed at stimulating critical thinking and analysis.
- Moodle the preferred web-based platform, used by educational institutions across the world, is used to maximize interaction between the instructors and the learners. Lively discussions take place in an asynchronous mode, enabling learners from across the globe to participate and share their comments, queries, suggestions, views and experiences in their virtual classroom.
- Learners can also access the instructor through the Moodle, via emails, Skype and even over the telephone.
The course is intended for trainers, practitioners and resource providers interested in new and innovative methodologies in bringing about social change and transformation. This course is also intended for those who are working or interested in working as a Participatory Trainer. These include staff of donor agencies (multilateral, bi-lateral, state or non-state actors), government officials, civil society organisations, social activists, university students and researchers. This course may also be used as an in-service career opportunity for practitioners, who could be mid-career professionals or young professionals, with some practical experience of being engaged in the process of social change.
Learning OutcomesAfter the completion of this course the learner willbe enabled to:
- Acquire abasic understanding of the ideology and significance of Participatory Training in social change.
- Gain knowledge of designing training programme on a range of different topics, with different stakeholders, using specific tools and methodologies.
- Develop an understanding of the characteristics of participatory evaluation and the different tools and techniques of such evaluation.
To develop and strengthen and understanding on the concepts and skills of Participatory Training Methods and familiarize the learners with the key competencies required of trainers conducting Participatory Training.
- 6 units of study
- Four evaluative exercises – Reflection note, quizzes and project based assignment.
- 2–3 videos for the course
- Powerpoint presentation giving the highlights of each unit
- Additional readings per unit
Unit 1: Introduction to Participatory Training Methods
Unit 2: Designing a Training Programme
Unit 3: Methods in Participatory Training
Unit 4: Evaluation of Training Programmes
Unit 5:Roles and Responsibilities of a Trainer
Unit 6: Key Competencies of Trainers