NGO Management Foundation Course
Starts on: 1 st & 15th of every month| Duration: 6 Months | Registration open
This course has been developed as a learning tool for those individuals who are interested in understanding the steps in the formation of a non-government organisation (NGO). It is also a useful course for heads of organisations, who wish to bring about a change in the existing structure of their institutions. This six-month certificate course takes the learner through the various steps that are critical to the management of an NGO, including various legal structures, statutory requirements, human resource management, financial management, as well as project monitoring systems. The course content provides the learner with a thorough understanding of the theory and application of NGO Management illustrated with a range of different cases and examples. These examples are drawn from PRIA's repertoire of the last three decades, of working at national and international levels, in helping set up a range of different NGOs, as well as providing consultancy to the varied issues and challenges faced in the management of large NGOs, as well as smaller field based organisations.
- This innovative course is one of its kinds, at the national, regional and international levels, offered in a distance education mode.
- This course has been enriched with the practical insights and experiences of more than three decades of PRIA's engagement with NGOs across the country as well as internationally.
- It brings together management theory in an NGO setting, illustrated through well-developed cases and examples.
- The course material is designed and developed, to meet the special requirements of a distance mode of education. It includes inbuilt exercises and in-text questions aimed at stimulating critical thinking and analysis.
- Moodle the preferred web-based platform, used by educational institutions across the world, is used to maximize interaction between the instructors and the learners. Lively discussions take place in an asynchronous mode, enabling learners from across the globe to participate and share their comments, queries, suggestions, views and experiences in their virtual classroom.
- Learners can also access the instructor through the Moodle, via emails, Skype and even over the telephone.
Those individuals or groups who are interested in setting up their own NGO; those who wish to review and improve their existing structures; those who are interested in learning more about the various management aspects of an NGO.
On completion of the course, the learner would be enabled to:
- A thorough theoretical understanding of the concepts,as well as practices of NGO management
- The ability to build upon existing knowledge on the appropriate procedures and practices involved in managing an NGO
- An enhanced understanding of what is needed to strengthen the existing capacities in specific contexts and settings to improve the functioning of an NGO.
To enhance the theoretical understanding of the concepts and practices of NGO Management.
- 6 units of study
- Four evaluative exercises – Reflection note, quizzes and project based assignment.
- 2-3 videos for the course
- Powerpoint presentation giving the highlights of each unit
- Additional readings per unit
Unit 1: Introduction to NGO Management
Unit 2: Legal Process of forming an NGO
Unit 3: Project Management
Unit 4: Human Resources Management
Unit 5: Financial Planning and Management
Unit 6: Management System Support