Local Self-Governance: Understanding Municipalities and Panchayats
Starts on: 1 st & 15 th of every month | Duration: 6 Months | Registration open
PRIA's experience of 30 years in the arena of Governance, Citizenship and Participation demonstrates that the strengthening of local self-governing institutions and empowering the people on local government is a task that insists on accountability and transparency on the part of the government and its varied offices. The contents of this course establish and illustrate the need for local self-governance and decentralization; it also highlights the challenges faced in reaching these objectives. This course examines the constitutional mandates, statutory provisions and functional organization related to local self-governing institutions. Reference is also made to the financial status of local bodies, and decentralized planning as accountability mechanisms used in local self-governing institutions. India, which has one of the oldest and most robust systems of local self-governance, is used as a base example to explain the concept.
- This innovative course is one of its kind, at the national, regional and international level, offered in a distance education mode.
- It gives an overview of the concept of decentralized governance; the rationale behind the massive shift towards it, both in the rural and the urban areas across the globe
- It draws together theory and practice of local self-governance through field case studies and practical illustrations.
- The course material is designed and developed, to meet the special requirements of a distance mode of education. It includes inbuilt exercises and in-text questions aimed at stimulating critical thinking and analysis.
- Moodle the preferred web-based platform, used by educational institutions across the world, is used to maximize interaction between the instructors and the learners. Lively discussions take place in an asynchronous mode, enabling learners from across the globe to participate and share their comments, queries, suggestions, views and experiences in their virtual classroom.
- Learners can also access the instructor through the Moodle, via emails, Skype and even over the telephone.
This course is designed for practitioners, adult educators, managers (staff of international and national voluntary development organisations, bi-lateral and multi-lateral development agencies, and government departments), researchers and policy makers from countries of the South, who are currently engaged in or interested in learning about local self-governance.
This course is also intended as an in-service career opportunity for practitioners, who could be mid-career professionals or young professionals, with some practical experience of being engaged in the process of social change.
On completion of the course the learner would be enabled to:
- Understand the constitutional provision and broad legal framework under which the local governance institutions are intended to operate
- Understand the meaning of the term local self-governance and appreciate its relevance in development
- Comprehend the various forms of decentralization and the forces driving it
- Gain familiarity with decentralization in urban India and outline the challenges faced in urban management, using India as a case
- Analyze the status of devolution of functions, finances and functionaries
- Understand the challenges in local administration in terms of human, financial and statutory powers available to Local Government Institutions
This course intends to stimulate the learner's interest in the concepts and rationale of local self-governance. It aims to provide basic background information and tools, including case studies, to build their conceptual clarity, as well as use this knowledge to strengthen field based programmes.
- 6 units of study
- Four evaluative exercises – Reflection note, quizzes and project based assignment.
- 2–3 videos for the course
- Powerpoint presentation giving the highlights of each unit
- Additional readings per unit
Unit 1: Relevance and importance of Local Self Governance in large representative oriented democracies (Basic framework for participation in Governance)
Unit 2: Constitutional Mandate, Statutory Provisions and Functional Organization of Local Governance Institutions
Unit 3: Financial Status of Local Bodies
Unit 4: Decentralized Planning - Methods, outcomes and challenges
Unit 5:Accountability in Local Bodies
Unit 6: Capacities Deficiencies and Interventions