PRIA has been running internship programmes for overseas students and practitioners since 2004. The Internship programmes offered by PRIA aims to provide students from across the world an opportunity to learn about development realities of India. Development concepts and approaches, within the Indian context, are matched with the interests and learning needs of the internship group, in different field settings to experience grass roots realities. Interns are of the view that the programme is of tremendous value to them in helping students expand their professional and personal horizons, while making a difference to the lives of people and communities. The interns are provided with valuable, real-world experience with practical insights and perspectives needed to become effective change agents.
All internship programmes have a specific set of objectives around which it is designed to provide a bridge between the academic preparation of a professional and the practical challenges faced in field-based interventions.
The overall objectives around which the internship programmes are designed are:
- Strengthen understanding on concepts of participatory development and democratic governance, with specific reference to the Indian context
- Providing exposure to grassroots realities, in the rural and urban settings, with a focus on participation by citizens and communities in development and governance interventions
- Strengthening insights and develop skills on participatory methodologies and tools, which include participatory research, participatory training, participatory monitoring.
- Understanding and appreciating broader contexts of other stakeholders, like government agencies, donors and local self-governance institutions, while participating in existing field projects
- Facilitating cross-cultural learning on development issues as well as other areas of inter-personal growth and learning
- A meticulously designed and closely supervised field engagement
- A systematic review process
- Valuable, real-world experience that accelerates preparation for a professional career
- Building competencies required for field interventions
- Acts as a bridge between the academic preparation of a professional and the practical challenges faced in field-based interventions
- An opportunity to launch careers with practical insights and perspectives needed to become effective change agents