In the 1980s, PRIA focused on ‘participation’; in the 1990s on ‘civil society’; and in 2000 on ‘governance’. In the coming decade, PRIA continues to focus on participation, civil society and governance within an overall perspective of ‘democracy’ – democracy in formal political institutions; by fostering a democratic culture in family, community, society and institutions;and through participatory democracy with active citizenship.
PRIA’s Strategies for Change
1. Knowledge building: documenting innovations; learning from others; synthesising multiple forms and sources of knowledge;systematisation of experiences of the marginalised;analysing policies, programmes and institutions from the vantage point of the excluded; promoting reflections among the excluded, their federations and networks, intermediate civil society actors.
2. Capacity building: enabling learning of perspectives, attitudes, knowledge and skills by the excluded, their organisations and leaders, their support civil society organisations, elected local government leaders; also demonstrating capacity-building for actors in the ‘supply’ side; capacities in participation, governance and democracy.
3. Advocacy: influencing policies, legislation, programmes, institutions and implementation to make them accessible and accountable to the excluded; supporting networks and coalitions to advocate on the basis of their systematised knowledge gained through monitoring and sharing.
a) Facilitating reflections and learning
b) Convening interface and dialogues across multi-stakeholders
In operationalising the above, PRIA conducts research, documents, systematises, sensitises, trains, pressurises and collectivises– all activities that enable and support the effective performance of these two core competencies.
PRIA’s identity is of a civil society organisation with a unique hybrid character reflected in:
• Focusing on both the demand and supply side of empowerment
• Working simultaneously at local and global arenas
• Combining the three strategies of change mentioned above.